Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Codebreaking and my next book, Our Man in Charleston: Britain's Secret Agent in the Civil War South

As many of you know, I've been working for some time on a nonfiction book about diplomacy and espionage that determined the outcome of the American Civil War almost before it began. That book is now due for publication next summer, on July 21.

In the meantime, however, I have just started a new website related to it: 
http://consulbunch.blogspot.fr/

One of the pages on that site will be devoted to encrypted correspondence between the central character and the British envoy in Washington:

I know some visitors to this site have used codes, and I suspect many of you may know people who know a great deal about them. If we can crack them, we may be able to shed some interesting new light on events in the South between 1859 and 1863, so do feel free to share these links with anyone you think might be helpful.

All the best, Chris



No comments: