Friday, October 04, 2019

Three weeks ago I talked about the death of Western democracy with Brian Williams on MSNBC. The situation today is worse.


Three weeks ago I was talking with Brian Williams off camera on The 11th Hour about witnessing the death of democracy in Europe and the United States. He asked me to repeat my thoughts on air: a grim picture. It must have struck a nerve, with more than a quarter million views.

I noted at the time that we were seeing some pushback against the populists in Europe. Since then, the British Supreme Court and the U.S. House of Representatives have tried to restore some order, but resurrecting democratic norms is going to be a long struggle against bitter, potentially violent adversaries who claim to speak in the name of "the people."


No comments: