Friday, October 07, 2005

BBC: White House Denies Divine Mission

I'm sure we're all relieved by this news from London:

'The White House has dismissed as "absurd" allegations made in a BBC TV series that President Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq.
"He's never made such comments," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.
The comments were attributed to Mr Bush by the Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath in the upcoming TV series Israel and the Arabs: Elusive Peace.
Mr Shaath said that in a 2003 meeting with Mr Bush, the US president said he was "driven with a mission from God".
"President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God. God would tell me, George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan. And I did, and then God would tell me, George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq... And I did.
"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East. And by God I'm gonna do it.'"...'

Anybody who's grown up in the South would know right away from the president's syntax and style, that wasn't God speaking, it was just the good ol' boy in George. - CD

Question of the moment: If you believe in God, whose side do you believe the Almighty has taken?

No comments: